1. Be sure all window treatments are properly installed and compliant with current safety standards.
2. Always keep windows closed and locked when small children are in the room.
3. Do not place cribs or other furniture near windows.
4. Never allow anything to dangle in a crib or bed.
5. Never allow long window covering pull cords to "puddle" on the floor next to the window.
6. Choose the cordless shades option whenever possible.
7. Hang stylish crib comforters or other bedding items on the wall, instead of placing them in the crib. Fluffy comforters or pillows, while adorable, have the potential to smother or suffocate a baby.
8. A spring-loaded lid-support device for toy chests is useful to prevent the lid from falling on a child's neck or from trapping a child playing inside the chest
9. Changing tables should always have safety straps.
10. All electrical outlets should be covered - in every room, not just the rooms you think children are most likely to be in.